AW: [SunRescue] SUN IPC (again) seriell connection to PC

chris Günther madram at video.de
Tue Jul 18 03:37:59 CDT 2000

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BFF0A4.3DD73500

> Just for kicks, you made sure you plugged the keyboard cable into the
> keyboard port on the IPC, and NOT the audio, or serial port? I haven't
> owned an IPC in a long time and I'm not sure if the ports look similar.

Actually they do look all the same, but I did make sure I attached it to
the right port ;-)

> If your using a Type 5, or 4 keyboard then it will be pretty easy to get
> a new cable for it. If you using a Type 5c then you may have to purchase
> a new keyboard as the cable cannot be replaced easily. I would try a
> different keyboard, possibly a KNOWN working keyboard.

Problem: I do not have a second - or third... - SUN keyboard handy, because
I'm the only person around here that owns a SUN.

> I think if your using a type 5 or 6 keyboard on the sun 4c arch then it
> will give you an unknown keyboard error or something like that, but the
> keyboard in fact still works. I'm not sure on this one though.

Indeed that is exactly what happened

> If you have any mac friends you can bum a PS/2 to DB style serial port
> cable from them, this will allow you to hook up to your computer. You may
> need a NULL modem cable as well.

That is what I tried, but the MAC cable I organized just uses 4 pins of
the 8?

> Hope this helps some, I know how fustrating it can be getting equipment
> to work when your a newbie.

thanks a lot. I'm a PC maniac since 1983 but I never used SUN before -
and it is very different although the hardware design seems to be great

kind regards and thank a lot

	chris

+---------------------------------+
|             chris               |