[SunRescue] SUN IPC (again) seriell connection to PC

JamesLockwoodjames at foonly.com JamesLockwoodjames at foonly.com
Tue Jul 18 03:07:51 CDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, [iso-8859-1] chris Gnther wrote:

> I then turned the SUN off again and checked the keyboard
> cable - plugging in and out again. When I turned my SUN
> on again all I could see was this little message saying
> that no keyboard is connected to the SUN and that all
> input output will be redirected to tty.
> Fine I thougt so my cable is propably broken. But where
> can I get a new one from?
>
> I tried to make a seriell connection to betwen my SUN and
> my PC using the rest of my keyboard cable (for the plug)
> and a normal 9 PIN but I could not completely figure out
> which pin has to be connected to which :-(

Sun keyboard cables are straight-through 8-pin mini-DIN.  If you can find
straight through Macintosh serial cables that connect all pins (they're
frequently labeled as "switchbox" cables) then they will work fine.

Your keyboard may also be dying.  These are very cheap used, it may be
useful to pick up a spare.

-James