[SunRescue] Installing Solaris without cdrom

Stephen Olson 4steve at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jul 16 22:13:21 CDT 2000

Thomas

I have successfully installed Solaris 7 on an IPC with no CDROM drive.  If
you have an extra hard drive that will work in the UltraBook, you can use dd
to copy the entire install CD to the disk (use the classic for this part).
Set it to the correct ID (I think it's 6) and tell the boot prom to boot prom
to boot from the CDROM drive.  The UltraBook will see the hard drive as a
CDROM and the install should go as normal.  This trick has been known to work
with the larger removable drives, such as the SyJet and Jaz drives.  I think
it's documented under the CDROM section of one of the FAQ's on sunhelp.

-Steve