[SunRescue] Installing Solaris without cdrom

Thomas Dagonnier dago at fpms.ac.be
Sun Jul 16 09:32:40 CDT 2000

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried (and managed to) install a fresh
solaris (7, e.g.) installation on a sparc system without CD-ROM (in this
case, an UltraBook due to the connector (SCSI UltraWide), i cannot connect
one of my current CDROM without buying a new cable ...).

There's a procedure explained on docs.sun.com but it includes the use of a
Solaris server, using Solstice and i don't want to swap Linux for Solaris
(and then back to Linux) on my 'Classic.

I use the command 'boot net' and by following the correct procedure, i
installed linux correctly on this 'Classic and can also do it on the
ultrabook but i don't think it is the way to do it with solaris.

So, if anyone has a solution which runs with a Linux server (with may or
may not be a sparc), it will help me a lot