[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com
Fri Jul 14 16:31:43 CDT 2000

>The 3/60 class machines with the builtin
>esp controllers do fine.

   si, actually.

>The VME based controller systems have only
>worked for me just recently, with the 1.4.2 suite.

   I read your reports, which is why I'll be looking at 1.4.2 when I have
time to experiment. Have they fixed the crashing problems with the ie
driver, too?

   Actually, we're pretty much saying the same thing: hardware that is more
common is better supported. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it
would be nice if the documentation distinguished between things that really
work because everybody is using them and things which kinda work because
some people have dinked with them for completeness' sake but nobody is
actually using.
   I keep grinding this axe because all of my more powerful hardware has
been sidelined by lack of support. The 3/60 is a capable machine, but I do
have a few things that really need more memory than it can take. Once I get
all my services back online, then I can take the time to experiment with
newer versions and kernel debugging and such, but right now I need things
that work right now.

   --James B.