[SunRescue] Re: Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't runn

KurtMosiejczukkurt at csh.rit.edu KurtMosiejczukkurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jul 13 15:31:27 CDT 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Chris Powell wrote:

> You are lucky, my employer won't let even sun4c machines go as they
> 'have trade in value'. Quite how a worthless (to Sun and industry)
> SS2 or IPX can have 'trade in value' is beyond me.... Frustrating
> seeing piles (literally) of SS2s/IPXs waiting to go to Sun (who
> then just landfill them....).
>

> Chris.

For a long time, Sun did give decent discounts on new sun hardware
if you traded in the old stuff.  That's why I got a pile of CG3s
from a friend at a university, but not the IPCs that were in them.

HOWEVER, another friend of mine mentioned Sun isn't doing the trade-ins
any more, so I may have more hardware falling my way =)  I'm especially
hoping that one of the Ultra 1s they are replacing with Ultra 10s will
fall off the truck in my direction =)

--Kurt