[SunRescue] Re: Hardware, Students and Schools [was] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

EricJohnsoneric_j at novia.net EricJohnsoneric_j at novia.net
Thu Jul 13 08:27:20 CDT 2000

I don't want to start a flame war here, but in my experience, schools
never really provided all that great a diversity of hardwares to work on,
it was just that a higher proportion of the Computer Science (or whatever
the program is called) students were interested in learning the material
in the 'olden' days.

This is not to say that the number of really motivated students has gone
down, just that the percentage has. There has been an influx of people
into technical fields who are just looking for a meal ticket. In the last
year, I have had to help recruit and hire programmers -- it's like panning
for gold; you look at a lot of dross before you find one nugget.

I have recently seen surveys that say that the number of 'computer'
students is going down again. While many find this a horrible trend, I do
believe that it at least offers the benefit of raising the percentage of
the 'true' students. I have hope!

-- Eric Johnson
-- eric_j at novia.net

"Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast!"

Ace Rimmer