AW: [SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

=?us-ascii?Q?chris_Gunther?=madram at video.de =?us-ascii?Q?chris_Gunther?=madram at video.de
Thu Jul 13 05:34:53 CDT 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01BFECC6.BEA271E0

> FWIW, I did my degree in computing and disagree with Chris Drelich's
> comments, I don't think I'm either a product of the system, or unique in
> being contractictory to the system.  We used a little Unix at Uni, did
> quite a bit of Windows stuff, but probably half of my close friends went
> down the Evil Empire path, the others didn't.  I am saddened by the
> people I work with though (most in their early to mid 20's) that don't
> understand there is a difference.  I had a Sparc 10 with it's cover off
> on my desk, he came over to have a look at "this wierd new slimline PC",
> he didn't believe me it was built in 1993, could take 4 CPUs and 512Mb
> of RAM.  I'm also saddened by the Microserfs I work with that cover
> themselves and everything they do with M$ logos, qualifications
> (MCSE+IAMADRONE), and other such stuff.  They just don't realise that
> there is something else out there in the real world.

I don't know how to say that, but in my college you need to do UNIX-course
to get access to the Workstations. We have PCs with Linux, SGIs with IRIX,
some AIX-Terminals and two SUNs and I think it is great.
There are some Mickysoft-PCs around but no one I know uses them - why should
any?

> PPS. Does anyone else find it ironic that the item that got Bill into
> trouble with Sun is now hosting sunhelp.org  ?

What is that supposed to mean? Did I miss something?

	chris

+---------------------------------+
|             chris               |
| ------------------------------- |