[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't runn

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Thu Jul 13 03:51:40 CDT 2000

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:14:27PM -0400, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD
freak wrote:
> > That brings up an interesting point.  $800 is still a sizeable chunk of
> > change, relatively speaking, when one can get a 4c class machine for
> > free to well under 50 bucks.  For a hobby/play/non-commercial sort
> > of use, one might ponder the pros and cons monitarily of chasing 4c
> > class machines vs Ultras or other biggie boxes, if the 4c things will
> > do what you need to do.  I know, money is not really an issue for any
> > of us....(:+}}..... but, then again.....

I have to say that I have my choice of machines to run (kinda nice being in
the reseller business) and yet my web and mail server is running on a Tatung
COMPStation 40 (SS2 clone, Open BSD, Apache, Sendmail and QPopper). Now if
it was up to Sun, they would insist that I be driving a big honking U450 or
so. BLAH! That little ss2 clone just does the job, day in, day out. I just
looked, my uptime is 81 days. That just happens to be the day the box was
brought online. I'm not knocking Sun's newer gear, it is indeed *very*
studley stuff. I am however, knocking the *suit think* that seems to run
rampant these days. It's a shame. Nothing wrong with 4c boxes, use'm if ya
got'm there is a ton of work out there, let'm do it! What it really comes
down to is this -- if it works don't knock it. Sometimes the best tools you
will ever own or use will be the oldest.

Dave McGuire said something about corruption earlier that really had me
thinking. Is it really that bad? or are we becoming so distrustful of
corporations, schools, and government that we are all now thinking the worst
of people instead of the best? -- I dunno anymore. Sorry....rant mode off.

Cheers all you lovers of Sun & UNIX.

Peace,

Mike N