[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't runn

P.A.OsborneP.A.Osborne at ukc.ac.uk P.A.OsborneP.A.Osborne at ukc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 02:44:37 CDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:14:27PM -0400, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> That brings up an interesting point.  $800 is still a sizeable chunk of
> change, relatively speaking, when one can get a 4c class machine for
> free to well under 50 bucks.  For a hobby/play/non-commercial sort
> of use, one might ponder the pros and cons monitarily of chasing 4c
> class machines vs Ultras or other biggie boxes, if the 4c things will
> do what you need to do.  I know, money is not really an issue for any
> of us....(:+}}..... but, then again.....

<AOL>
I have to agree with Bob on that one
</AOL>

Seriously though,  I find (at least in the UK),  that SS1/SS2/ELCs are
being skipped (which is why three SS2s are in my house - one of which
I struck gold with as it had the Cycle SS5 mobo in it).  At the moment
we (UKC) have just got to the point where older 4m machines may head
to the skip this summer (but that depends on the trade in we can get
for newer kit) in which case I may end up with a couple of SS10/20s
which would be nice. Its usefull being the only person who blags old
kit...

As I put it to the girlfeind at least my hobby requires zero expenditure
to fill a room full of rubbish.  Spending several hundred quid on
a U1 is just not an option at the moment.

Seeya

Paul