[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

Cyrus M. Reed reedc at cc.wwu.edu
Thu Jul 13 00:51:07 CDT 2000

My university actually had a full lab of Ultra 10's (~25) up until about 6
months ago.  Unfortunately though a series of events it was, shall we say,
"assimilated" before it really even got off the ground.  It sounded like
they had some good plans for it (GIS software and a few other things), but
I think the "suits" either got "we love NT syndrome", or "students
shouldn't be touching machines that expensive", or even "it doesn't run
Word even, so it must not be good". It was a real shame, the lab was quiet
and never had any lines; if only because not too many people knew how to
use it (but since I did, it was nice :).  I could have used it for some
nice Physics simulations or something....  <sigh>

-Cyrus