[SunRescue] Pointer to SS2 FM info pages?

BSDBobtheoldgreybeardBSDfreakbobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu BSDBobtheoldgreybeardBSDfreakbobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 12 17:34:57 CDT 2000

> > I was needing
> > a pointer to the url for the FEH pages on it.  I vaguely
> > remember a .jp
> > site that had some of the board diags that show the ram/jumper/etc
> > locations.  Anyone have that url handy?  If not, anyone have

> What's wrong with the SHR?  :-)  I've been doing a lot of work on mine,
> testing out various ram things.  Assuming that you're using 9-pin SIMMs,
> start from the group of slots closest to the SBUS slots, and fill straight
> forward.  On my machine, you have to fill the bank closest to the SBUS slots
> first (which means 4-SIMMs, but the SHR has a nice ASCII diagram), but after
> that it doesn't seem to matter how the banks are filled.  Mixing 3-chip and
> 9-chip SIMMs does not work, nor does mixing "Logic-Chip Parity" and "True
> Parity" 3-chip SIMMs.  Yes, I am working on writing all of this down...

I always use 9 chips in sunstuff.....(doesn't everyone?)... (:+}}...
Although I have heard some 3 chip stuff works.

After some hectic webcruising, I finally found the reference page
I was looking for.... alas it is in Japanese or the html is screwed.

Anyway, if I am reading the figure correctly:

  http://www.portnet.co.jp/JIS/techical/WS/sun4_75.html

shows the ram cycling by fours in the two rows of chips.
My machine seems to have 0 and 1 filled in each bank, with
3 and 4 open.  IFF I am interpreting how the sequence cycles,
I need to install all four 3 bank locations first, which
is a little different from what you seem to be suggesting,
and then add the 4 bank locations second?

Can someone confirm that?  I don't want to muck up the ram
positions.

The SS1 (4/60) seems to be entirely different from this (SS2 or 4/75).

Almost confusing, and a good reason to have the actual FEH diagrams.

Also, IFF I am out of 4 meg simms, can the last row of bank 4 simms
be filled in with 1 meg simms, or will it require 4 meg simms?
The IPX, for example can mix and match, but it requires the high
density ram first.

Thanks

Bob