[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

DaveMcGuiremcguire at neurotica.com DaveMcGuiremcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jul 12 16:04:50 CDT 2000

On July 12, Jonathan Eisch wrote:
> >   I dunno, from my perspective it's pretty mainstream.  I can drive
> > through my area and point to no less than a dozen buildings in which
> > there are SPARCstations running NetBSD.  They're all around me.  Seems
> > pretty mainstream to me.  Maybe I'm just lucky?
>
> Actually, I live in central Wisconsin, and I've yet to find a bigger
> installation of SparcStations than in my house (two sparcstations and my
> SparcBook) in a 100 mile radius (the local colleges use all NT).

  Microsoft is pushing NT into schools as hard as they can...so
they'll have wave after wave of college grads who've seen nothing but
NT, so they'll order NT when they get to their new jobs.

  There's a lot of high-tech in my area...a *lot*.  I've found that,
the higher the "tech", the lower the concentration of NT machines.

       -Dave McGuire