[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Jul 12 15:04:44 CDT 2000

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts on Solaris 2.4?  I have heard it is rather
> unsettled, compared to 2.5.1 or 2.6 or 7.

2.4 was IMHO the first "production quality" Solaris release out of the
box.  2.3 and before were quite buggy.  Unfortunately 2.4 was fairly slow,
2.5 felt much faster to me.

> Me neither, but out of curiosity, if one HAD to run a Solaris on a 4c
> crate, which one would be the one of choice to look out for, and where
> the dickens can one find it these days?  All I have is Solaris 1.1.1
> and Solaris 2.4.  And, my cheapskate's beer-bellie budget won't quite
> allow me the pleasure of a late-model biggie box, yet.....so, 4c it is.

I would say either 2.6 or 7.  2.6 isn't noticably bulkier than earlier
revs, and 7 has some nice features but parts of it are slower (chief among
these is the SGML manpage renderer).

I run 2.6 on my last sun4c (a SS2, 64MB).

-James