[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't runn

BSDBobtheoldgreybeardBSDfreakbobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu BSDBobtheoldgreybeardBSDfreakbobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:14:27 CDT 2000

> Lots of "older" higher-end boxes are becoming cheaper. The U1s and U2s are
> EOL'd -- ebay and others ( http://solarsys.com/specials ) had U1s for
> under $800 at various points in time. Those will run 8 just peachy-keen.

That brings up an interesting point.  $800 is still a sizeable chunk of
change, relatively speaking, when one can get a 4c class machine for
free to well under 50 bucks.  For a hobby/play/non-commercial sort
of use, one might ponder the pros and cons monitarily of chasing 4c
class machines vs Ultras or other biggie boxes, if the 4c things will
do what you need to do.  I know, money is not really an issue for any
of us....(:+}}..... but, then again.....

Bob