[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

BSDBobtheoldgreybeardBSDfreakbobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu BSDBobtheoldgreybeardBSDfreakbobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 12 12:14:14 CDT 2000

> Just make my intention clear - Iwas/am interested in what OS folks think
> was/is the "sweet-spot" for Sun4c systems:

Good topic for consideration, especially amongst us ancient sunrunners.

Anyone have any thoughts on Solaris 2.4?  I have heard it is rather
unsettled, compared to 2.5.1 or 2.6 or 7.

>     Solaris 2.5.1 is still viable...
>     Solaris 2.6 is running just fine...
>     I have no exp. with Solaris 7, my question on this OS relates to it's
>        userfulness, WRT "buggy-ness"....
>     Linux works, but Sun4c is a "second tier"

Also, it is not as nice yet as it might be in my hands, compared to other
things.  It tends to crash more often than the BSD's or Sunsomethingorother.
I load up new releases of Linux as they appear, but usually nuke it after
an hour or two in favor of the BSD side of the family.

>     And finally, *BSD is reported to be a "wonder OS" for older machines,
>     but my experience with them is slight, at best.

I run NetBSD and OpenBSD servers and workstations on sunstuff.
IFF you are running a serious OLDIE machine, I would heartily
recommend OpenBSD first, NetBSD second, and Sunsomethingorother
third based upon my experiences.  If running Sunsomethingorother,
I would tend to SunOS 4.1.3 patched and outfitted appropriately.
I still run one old 4/260 webserver crate on SunOS 4.1.3, and it
just runs and runs and runs and runs and runs, seemingly forever.
I would run Linux last, unless I really had to have a particular
Linux port of somethingorother that was not available on SunOS
or one of the BSD's.  It is just not quite mature enough yet,
in my hands.

> So, since all the OS chices for the Sun4c platform are known, what is
> considered to be the most "efficient" OS to make maximum use of a SS/2
> (for example)?

On any lesser 4c class machine I would opt for OpenBSD first.  It just
plain works, and works perfectly.  Throw in a floppy and install off
the inet and away you go!  This assumes you can port anything you need
that is not proprietary.  OpenBSD has about 1000 ports up, and almost
anything you can get source to will compile fine.  Netscraper is usable
if you have a set of the right Solaris libs handy.

> I'm not (in any way) mad/upset/frustrated that Sun will no longer offer the
> option of running the latest Solaris OS on an SS/2 - I wouldn't *want* to.

Me neither, but out of curiosity, if one HAD to run a Solaris on a 4c
crate, which one would be the one of choice to look out for, and where
the dickens can one find it these days?  All I have is Solaris 1.1.1
and Solaris 2.4.  And, my cheapskate's beer-bellie budget won't quite
allow me the pleasure of a late-model biggie box, yet.....so, 4c it is.

That be my take on the issue.....

Thanks

Bob