[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris8 won't runn

Mike Hebel druaga at pmail.net
Wed Jul 12 11:09:30 CDT 2000

>>> Lots of "older" higher-end boxes are becoming cheaper. The U1s and U2s
are
>>> EOL'd -- ebay and others ( http://solarsys.com/specials ) had U1s for
>>> under $800 at various points in time. Those will run 8 just peachy-keen.
Kewl!  Something for the personal budget for Christmas! *grin*

>>That brings up an interesting point.  $800 is still a sizeable chunk of
>>change, relatively speaking, when one can get a 4c class machine for
>>free to well under 50 bucks.  For a hobby/play/non-commercial sort
>>of use, one might ponder the pros and cons monitarily of chasing 4c
>>class machines vs Ultras or other biggie boxes, if the 4c things will
>>do what you need to do.  I know, money is not really an issue for any
>>of us....(:+}}..... but, then again.....

As a fairly new user of Sun hardware (about a year or so now) I find that
unless you're very experienced with computers then the Sun 4c class of
machines will probably only frustrate you.  For one you will most likely
have to purchase a new NVRAM clock chip for them - I have four IPCs and I
have to do this for 3 of them.  They're also slow as a dog unless you're
using NetBSD without X.  They're more for special purposes.

IMHO the Sun 4m systems  (SS2, IPX, I think - correct me if I've got it
wrong) would be a much better starting point for "newbies".

Sincerely,

Mike Hebel