[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jul 12 08:40:14 CDT 2000

Just make my intention clear - Iwas/am interested in what OS folks think
was/is
the "sweet-spot" for Sun4c systems:

    Solaris 2.5.1 is still viable, as most widely-available SOlaris
"freeware" is built
    for that release level.

    Solaris 2.6 is running just fine on my SPARCbook 3GX, and will for the
    forseeable future.

    I have no exp. with Solaris 7, my question on this OS relates to it's
usefulness,
    WRT "buggy-ness" - was it a good, stable OS or did it introduce some
bloat
    that was later tuned in Solaris 8?

    Solaris 8 is not an option for this type of system.

    Linux works, but Sun4c is a "second tier" platform (for the commercial
distributions
    anyway)...

    And finally, *BSD is reported to be a "wonder OS" for older machines,
but my
    experience with them is slight, at best.

So, since all the OS chices for the Sun4c platform are known, what is
considered to
be the most "efficient" OS to make maximum use of a SS/2 (for example)?

I'm not (in any way) mad/upset/frustrated that Sun will no longer offer the
option of
running the latest Solaris OS on an SS/2 - I wouldn't *want* to.

Ken

BTW - I agree with everything James said, I just snipped his comments for
brevity.