[SunRescue] Basic questions.

Eric Ozrelic erico at bendcable.com
Sun Jul 9 20:59:21 CDT 2000

>Will sparc2's run solaris 8???  What OS do you need to run a Sparc2? can a
sparc2 be used as a client on a >Solaris 8 server?

Solaris 8 chopped support off for the Sun 4c or lower and some 4m arch. I've
heard about people "hacking" Solaris 8
to work on these machines, but I don't think it would be a very pretty
situation. If you need to use
Solaris on your Sparc 2, I would suggest 2.7, or 2.6. If you don't need
Solaris, I would highly recommend
NetBSD. It works very well on these machines and has a smaller overall
footprint then Solaris.

>How much Ram and how many gig hard drive would I need to make a Sparc 10
run Solaris 8 efficiently as a >server?

Depends on what you want to do with it and how many users will be connecting
to it. As a rule of thumb,
the more the better.

>I am just getting into Unix (I took the first really rudimentary course)
and want to buy a couple of machines
>3??) to set up a small practice (educational) network that will hook up to
the internet,  I am lookiing at a >Sparc20 a Sparc10 and a Sparc2 for the
network.  Will this work? I will either use a sparc20 or sparc10 for >the
server. What specs will I need?

You might want to use the Sparc 2, and 10 (depending on they're spec's) as
the servers, and the Sparc 20
as a workstation if your going to have a network like that.

>I also have a PII 233MMX running Linux and a PIII 450 running Win 98. Is
there a way to hook these into a >Sparc Solaris 8 network with a Sparc10 or
sparc 20 as server?

Yes, you can get NFS, and X clients for Windows 98. You can also
install/configure Samba on your Sparc
stations and turn them into psudo-windows network file server boxes that can
been used/seen by your
other "true" windows machines.

Hope this answeres some of your questions.

Regards,

Eric Ozrelic
aka ProjetkSUN