[SunRescue] Basic questions.

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Jul 9 20:47:25 CDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 06:31:37PM -0700, Craig Hertel wrote:
> Will sparc2's run solaris 8???

Nope, Solaris 7 is the last version that will run on the sun4c
architecture.

> What OS do you need to run a Sparc2?

You can run the following:
	SunOS (last version was 4.1.4)
	Solaris (up to version 2.7, "Solaris 7")
	NetBSD (www.netbsd.org)
	OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org)
	Linux (www.redhat.com, www.debian.org, etc)

> can a sparc2 be used as a client on a Solaris 8 server?

Of course; it depends on what you're using the Solaris 8 server *to serve*.

> How much Ram and how many gig hard drive would I need to make a Sparc
> 10 run Solaris 8 efficiently as a server?

Depends on what CPUs you have in the SS10, and what you're doing with it
(e.g., what KIND of server).

> I am just getting into Unix (I took the first really rudimentary course)
> and want to buy a couple of machines (3??) to set up a small practice
> (educational) network that will hook up to the internet,  I am lookiing at
> a Sparc20 a Sparc10 and a Sparc2 for the network.  Will this work?
> I will either use a sparc20 or sparc10 for the server.
> What specs will I need?

This all dependds, again, on what you want to *do* with the machines.

> I also have a PII 233MMX running Linux and a PIII 450 running Win 98.
> Is there a way to hook these into a Sparc Solaris 8 network with a
> Sparc10 or sparc 20 as server?

Of course, but again, it dependds on what KIND of server you're talking
about.

> I hope I'm not intruding. This seems to be a chat group for people
> in the know, and I am going to need a lot of help if I am going to do this..

I recommend you check out
http://www.sunhelp.org/books-amazon.php3.

"UNIX In A Nutshell, System V Edition" and
"Essential System Administration, 2nd Edition" plus
the "UNIX System Administration Handbook" are
what I consider must-haves for any new systems admin.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |