[SunRescue] Basic questions.

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Sun Jul 9 20:42:59 CDT 2000

On Sunday, July 09, 2000 9:31 PM, Craig Hertel wrote:
> <<File: ATT00000.htm>>

Nah, don't post that stuff.

> Will sparc2's run solaris 8???

Nope.

> What OS do you need to run a Sparc2?

Solaris 7 or earlier, or one of the BSD-based Unices like NetBSD.

> can a sparc2 be used as a client on a Solaris 8 server?

Sure.  You can do it the other way around, too.  Unix machines can be both
clients and servers, both for themselves and for each other.  Most are, in
fact.

> How much Ram and how many gig hard drive would I need to make a Sparc 10
> run Solaris 8 efficiently as a server?

For RAM, the more the merrier.  128 megs or more would be nice, though you
could get away with less.  Unix is pretty sensitive to memory size as a
_speed_ determiner, but you can run Solaris 7 on 16 megs of RAM.

For disk space, it all depends on what you're going to serve.  I've got an
old LX, which serves a few web pages, a little mail, a couple of hundred
files, and some DNS, as well as handling NTP (time), DHCP, and general
network monitoring chores.  It's got a 2-gig disk drive that's 50% free.
 Gonna do data mining on some huge Oracle database?  You might want a
little more space.

> I am just getting into Unix (I took the first really rudimentary course)
> and want to buy a couple of machines (3??) to set up a small practice
> (educational) network that will hook up to the internet,  I am lookiing
at
> a Sparc20 a Sparc10 and a Sparc2 for the network.  Will this work? I will
> either use a sparc20 or sparc10 for the server. What specs will I need?

It mostly depends on what you want to do.  If you're just going to use it
to learn, you could do as well with much less expensive hardware.

> I also have a PII 233MMX running Linux and a PIII 450 running Win 98. Is
> there a way to hook these into a Sparc Solaris 8 network with a Sparc10
or
> sparc 20 as server?

Again, it depends on what you want to serve.  However, TCP/IP is TCP/IP, so
if you want to, you can have a network with several Unix variants, Linux,
all the MS-Windows variants, and a few Macintoshes.  Mine home network has
Solaris, Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98, and NT 4.0.  The one at work has IBM
AIX, SCO Unix, HP-UX, Linux, Many Wintel boxes, and a few Macs.

> This seems to be a chat group for people in the know ....

Heh.  That lets me out, then.  Forget everything I just said.

-Shel