[SunRescue] Basic questions.

Craig Hertel hertelc at bcni.net
Sun Jul 9 20:31:37 CDT 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01BFE9D3.EAC1BD80

Will sparc2's run solaris 8???  What OS do you need to run a Sparc2? can =
a sparc2 be used as a client on a Solaris 8 server?

How much Ram and how many gig hard drive would I need to make a Sparc 10 =
run Solaris 8 efficiently as a server?

I am just getting into Unix (I took the first really rudimentary course) =
and want to buy a couple of machines (3??) to set up a small practice =
(educational) network that will hook up to the internet,  I am lookiing =
at a Sparc20 a Sparc10 and a Sparc2 for the network.  Will this work? I =
will either use a sparc20 or sparc10 for the server. What specs will I =
need?

I also have a PII 233MMX running Linux and a PIII 450 running Win 98. Is =
there a way to hook these into a Sparc Solaris 8 network with a Sparc10 =
or sparc 20 as server?

I hope I'm not intruding. This seems to be a chat group for people in =
the know, and I am going to need a lot of help if I am going to do =
this..=20

Craig Hertel
hertelc at bcni.net

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01BFE9D3.EAC1BD80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Will sparc2's run solaris 8???  =
What OS do you=20
need to run a Sparc2? can a sparc2 be used as a client on a Solaris 8=20
server?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How much Ram and how many gig hard =
drive would I=20
need to make a Sparc 10 run Solaris 8 efficiently as a =
server?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am just getting into Unix (I took the =
first=20
really rudimentary course) and want to buy a couple of machines (3??) to =
set up=20
a small practice (educational) network that will hook up to the =
internet,  I am=20
lookiing at a Sparc20 a Sparc10 and a Sparc2 for the network.  Will =
this=20
work? I will either use a sparc20 or sparc10 for the server. What specs =
will I=20
need?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also have a PII 233MMX running Linux =
and a PIII=20
450 running Win 98. Is there a way to hook these into a Sparc Solaris 8 =
network=20
with a Sparc10 or sparc 20 as server?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I hope I'm not intruding. This seems to =
be a chat=20
group for people in the know, and I am going to need a lot of help if I =
am going=20
to do this.. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Craig Hertel</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:hertelc at bcni.net">hertelc at bcni.net</A></FONT></DIV></BODY>=
</HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01BFE9D3.EAC1BD80--