[SunRescue] How FAST is a SUN IPC

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Jul 7 22:12:26 CDT 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 07:57:34PM -0700, Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
> What I don't understand is why folks run anything other than
> Solaris on SPARC hardware? It goes without saying that Solaris is
> finely tuned to the SPARC architecture. I've been running Solaris
> for years, and I just don't see the shortcomings in it that people
> constantly refer to (e.g. "Slowlaris").
> I'm running a national server complex on sun hardware (e4500's,
> ultra 5/10s, and Netra T1's) running Solaris 7 and 8, and it runs
> like top. I can sleep nights. It's plenty fast - my backbone news
> transit server is in the top 200 servers in the world - it's a
> 'lowly' ultra 5/333.
> I'm not anti-Linux (or xxxBSD for that matter) either. I just don't
> see the point of linux, at least not on SPARC hardware, when
> Solaris 8 is "free" and runs like a bloody bat out of hell.

Yeah, the later releases of Solaris run *great* on newer Ultra
hardware (I've got an U10/300 with 384mb RAM, Creator2D, and
Sol8+MU1 here), but on older stuff like the 1, 1+, 2, IPC,
etc, newer Solaris releases are slow (sol7 was the last to
support sun4c) or wont run at all.  I'd consider 2.5.1 or 2.6
the absolute most I'd run on a sun4c, and then only with 64mb
RAM.

NetBSD on Sun4c, literally, whips solaris' ass in terms of
performance (I've seen what Dave McGuire can squeeze out
of a a SS5/85 with NetBSD and 32 meg RAM...)

As for sparc/linux.. well.. it exists.. but I wont run it.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |