[SunRescue] How FAST is a SUN IPC

Fleet Captain Druaga Druaga at pmail.net
Thu Jul 6 19:03:34 CDT 2000

I know from experience that you can't use two _separate_ frame buffers in an
IPC.  You can however discount the integrated BW frame buffer if you have
another one installed as the SBUS one "should" take over control of the
video. However I have heard of people using more than one SBUS frame buffer
in Sparc 1 and above systems.

As for the speed, I think until recently an IPC was serving www.obsolyte.com
as the main web server so that's a fairly good indicator of something useful
to do with the box.

They're also good for dedicated uses.  For instance I have two running at
separate houses running NetBSD (www.netbsd.org) and bnetd (www.bnetd.org)
and doing fine as standalone Battlenet(tm) servers for local LAN games.
(The bnetd source took me about 2 hours to make and compile on the
IPC(25mhz) compared to about 45 minutes on a faster IPX(40mhz))

They're also good as X-Terminals for logging in remotely to larger systems.

I think in all this time I've only ever had one hooked up to an actual Sun
monitor and that was at work because I don't have any here.

Also, one final note - the Wietek ceramic chip you see openly is _not_ the
CPU.  The actual CPU is a smaller black chip closer to the center of the
board.  The big ceramic chip is the FPU or math co-processor.

Hope this clears some things up.

Sincerely,

Mike Hebel