[SunRescue] How FAST is a SUN IPC

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Thu Jul 6 17:16:07 CDT 2000

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Reagen Ward wrote:

> I'm not in any way trying to start a war, but Linux doesn't do so well on the
> sun4c machines.  I'd stick with a BSD of some sort for 4c.  Then again, NetBSD
> doesn't do better than 8bit color on Sun framebuffers.

I haven't really played with Linux on a Sun4c since 2.0.x, but I know that
there were several improvements made that supposedly increased
performance... and when I had previously played with a Sun4c and Linux in
X... I thought the overall performance wasn't the issue, it was the drive
access which seemed to be a bottleneck.

And secondly, while NetBSD may only do 8-bit color (I thought they had
gotten support for some of them), the on-board frame buffer in the IPX is
only 8-bit...

I do like SunOS on my SS-2 though... Solaris had too much overhead.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  NetBSD1.4.2 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -