[SunRescue] How FAST is a SUN IPC

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jul 6 12:19:43 CDT 2000

  The "rc5 on intel" thing has been hashed out over and over...Here's
an excerpt from distributed.net's rc5 faq that explains why:

- Why are Intel and PowerPC computers so much faster than other
- platforms?
-
-   Integral to the mathematics of the RC5 algorithm are 32-bit rotate
- operations. For whatever reason, the designers of the x86 and the
- PowerPC architectures decided to implement the rotate function as a
- hardware instruction. Many other CPUs do not have built-in hardware
- rotate instructions and must emulate the operation by (at the very
- least) two shifts and a logical OR. This handicap is why many
- non-Intel and non-PowerPC computers run RC5 slower than one might
- expect based on real-world benchmarks. It is also the main reason why
- the RC5 client is a poor benchmark to use in determining the speed or
- performance of a particular CPU.

        -Dave McGuire