[SunRescue] How FAST is a SUN IPC

Patrick Giagnocavo a222 at redrose.net
Sat Jul 8 08:19:28 CDT 2000

on 7/8/00 5:59 AM, Dave McGuire at mcguire at neurotica.com wrote:

> Another point...I make a LOT of money with SS1/SS1+/SS2 machines.
> Solaris8 won't even run on those machines, will it?  Arbitrarily
> dropping support for hardware that is older but STILL USEFUL just to
> try to force people to buy more hardware is BOGUS.

If you are still working with Digex, I fully understand.

At least a few years ago a company I was working for at the time was charged
an outrageous amount of money per month to host a web site on Digex, which
ran on a 24MB Sparc1 or 1+, with NFS-mounts to some big server.  The
hardware at that time was worth perhaps $200, if that.

When you take a $200 piece of hardware, hook it up to a Net connection, and
get a couple hundred per month for transferring less than 2GB per month, you
DO tend to make a lot of money :-) .

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
a222 at redrose.net