[SunRescue] How FAST is a SUN IPC

John F. Davis davis at skink.net
Thu Jul 6 12:19:27 CDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 01:54:39PM -0400, nick at ns.snowman.net wrote:
> It all depends on what you are doing.  At rc5 decryption a slow 486 will
> Stomp on anything up to a [,super,hyper]sparc 100 or 150.  I don't know of
> any other examples like that, however they exist.
> 	Nick

Is that because the 486 has a dedicated floating point coprocessor whereas
the sparc doesn't?

For what its worth, here are some benchmarks I have gathered using some code I wrote
myself.  It shows how many seconds different computers take to complete a benchmark.

About the benchmark.  It is a tcl script which solves cryptograms using a dictionary
and pattern matching.  I tried to always use the same version of tcl interpeter so
results would be more evenly matched.  I chose to use tcl since it can run on any
os/cpu.  Also, this started out as a learning exercise for tcl and not as a benchmark.
However, since it takes such a long time to run, it makes a good benchmark program.

And yet another thing.  When I tested the e450 at work, it was not loaded.  It would
be nice to see the results of an unloaded e450.  It would also be nice to see how long
it takes to perform mulitple tests simultaneously for multiprocessor computers.

Here are the results sorted best to worst in order of seconds to complete
the benchmark:

Crypto stats
P3  733Mhz
256 Megs
NT 4.0 Service Patch 5.0
NTFS
UDMA-66 IBM 37420 7200 rpm
tcl8.0
107s
K7/Athlon  700Mhz
256 Megs
NT 4.0 Service Patch 4.0
NTFS for OS
FAT for script and dictionary
UDMA-33 IBM 7200 rpm
tcl8.22
113s
p3 600Mhz
384 Megs
NT 4.0 Service Patch 5.0
NTFS
Adaptec AHA-2940 U2
Ultra2 LVD SCSI Fast and Wide
2 MB Data buffer, 7.0 ms seek
80 MB transfer rate, 7200 rpm
tcl8.0  146s no typo 8.0 is faster
tcl8.22 164s
p3 400Mhz
256 Megs
NT 4.0 Service Patch 5.0
NTFS
UW scsi
tcl 8.0 212s
p3 500Mhz
128 Megs
RedHat 6.1
UDMA-33 Disk
tcl8.22 164s
tcl8.0 281s
p3 450Mhz
256 Megs
NT 4.0 Service Patch 5.0
NTFS
UDMA Disk
tcl 8.0 334s
E450
Mhz
megs
Solaris ??
SunOS ??
tcl 8.x 412s
p200mmx
64megs
NT 4.0 Service Patch 4.0
NTFS
tcl 8.0 419s 420s
ultra10 300mhz
ultrasparc-IIi
128megs
solaris 2.5.1
685s
p200
48megs
w95
963s 990s
p133
64megs
w95
1045s
cyrix 150
16megs
debian
200 meg ide
8.0 1428s
86dx4-100
64megs
nt4.0
ntfs
3446s
p75
24megs
slackware  linux 3.51
3533s
sparc 10
sm-40 (40 Mhz no cache)
7200 rpm scsi 2 hard disk
tclsh 8.1  3540 s (just a tad faster than the sparc 5 ???)
sparc 5
110Mhz Processor
64 Megs Ram
fast wide scsi-2 5400rpm hard disk
Debian Linux 2.1
tclsh 8.1  1 hr even  = 60 mins =3600 s
sparc lx
50Mhz Processor
96 Megs Ram
scsi-2 7200rpm hard disk
Debian Linux 2.1
tclsh 8.0 2 hrs 24 mins = 144 mins = 8640 s
tclsh 8.1 2 hrs 29 mins = 149 mins = 8940 s