[SunRescue] TGX+

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jan 31 19:27:25 CST 2000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Chris Sterling wrote:

> I recently got a TGX+ (new model 4MB), and am very impressed by it's 2d
> speed on a system with SM61's. I am, however, still lacking 24bit color
> (not that I'm really complaining or anything). What's this card worth, and
> what 24bit color cards are there in the Sun workstation world? I'm not too
> clear as to what to look for, and what will work in a 4/6xx box from the
> FAQ.

Short answer: it's not practical.

Long answer: you have the best 8bpp framebuffer that Sun built already,
and it's well supported.  There is no currently supported (by Solaris)
24bpp framebuffer that will work in your machine, and the ones that did
work at one time were all either buggy (MGX+) or slow (ZX).  Actually, the
ZX might almost be worth it if you can handle slow window redraws.  I'd
advise against it though, especially if you're used to the TGX+.

IMHO the only 24bpp cards worth getting for pre-Ultras are the S24 for the
Sparc 5 (slow), and the SX VSIMM for the Sparc 20 (fast and nice).

Wait until you upgrade to an Ultra and get a Creator card then.  In a year
or so I'm fairly sure Ultra 1's will be at the "dirt cheap" level (where
Sparc 5/10/20's are now).

-James