Re(2): [SunRescue] Solaris 2.5.1/PPC

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Mon Jan 31 15:56:48 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>It was officially released and sold.  Sun never sold it directly, however,
>it was only sold through IBM channels (to run on RS/6000 43P's,
>generally).
>
>It's an interesting piece of history.
>
>-James

IBM screwed everybody involved in PPC, they got apple to do all the work
on their end, then pulled the plug on the OS/2 PPC project.  I would never
get involved in a business deal with IBM (besides the fact that I don't
run a computer related company :-)) they seem to encourage their partners
to spend all their money, then drop the project.  It would have been
interesting to see 4 OS's in the market, Windows(on Intel mostly), *NIX(On
everything), MacOS(in it's niche), and OS/2(on PPC machines from Apple,
Motorola, and IBM)  I bet Microsoft stuff would be a lot cheaper in that
market scenario