[SunRescue] Linux, SS20, partition sizes

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jan 27 18:30:04 CST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, James Lockwood wrote:

> Pre-Ultra systems can't address more than 2GB of the disk in the PROM,
> it's a limitation in the 32-bit PROM block reading interface.
>
> Really old boot PROMs (1.x) can't address past 1GB.
>
> -James

Now, I'm not trying to be contrary, I just want to understand this fully...
My company has sent out Sparc 5 systems with a 4 Gig drive with only
one partition...  Was my company just lucky that the OS fell under the
2Gig limit?  Like it works unless your unlucky enough to have the boot
code be moved above 2Gig?

--Kurt