[SunRescue] NeXT vs. Sun shootout...

Hatle, Steven J. shatle at vue.com
Thu Jan 27 13:40:08 CST 2000

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF68FE.518419B0

I have a 68040 Cube, a Turbo Color slab, and my primary Sun is a 2xSM61 SS20
with an 8MB VSIMM. As you would expect, the SS20 kicks butt over either
NeXT, but as others have stated here, the OS/desktop integration and "user
experience" of OpenStep/NeXTStep is hard to beat once you are used to NeXT
way of doing things.

I did have NeXTStep 3.3 up on my SS20 for a while, and it ran great, even
without the second processor doing anything. Same seamless experience, just
faster <grin>.

As far as "serious" work goes, or needing to acquire/run newer software,
it's much more efficient to work with the SS20. But I _don't_ want to get
rid of my NeXT's! <grin>

Steve

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF68FE.518419B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>RE: [SunRescue] NeXT vs. Sun shootout...</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have a 68040 Cube, a Turbo Color slab, and my =
primary Sun is a 2xSM61 SS20 with an 8MB VSIMM. As you would expect, =
the SS20 kicks butt over either NeXT, but as others have stated here, =
the OS/desktop integration and "user experience" of =
OpenStep/NeXTStep is hard to beat once you are used to NeXT way of =
doing things. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I did have NeXTStep 3.3 up on my SS20 for a while, =
and it ran great, even without the second processor doing anything. =
Same seamless experience, just faster <grin>.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>As far as "serious" work goes, or needing =
to acquire/run newer software, it's much more efficient to work with =
the SS20. But I _don't_ want to get rid of my NeXT's! =
<grin></FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Steve</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>