[SunRescue] Broken 3/60 board

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Tue Jan 25 06:47:22 CST 2000

Maarten Deen wrote:

> Okay, I tested it out. As was told to me, the BNC ethernet lead
> might be dead. At the moment all ethernet is dead. ifconfig fails at
> boot: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS) no such interface
> I looked at J800 (13-14), which is jumped, so it takes AUI ethernet.
> I unjumped it but to no avail.
> ifconfig does return a valid ethernet address.

Unfortunately the 3/60 does not have the extended diagnostics of the
3/50, which are very useful for finding problems. The extra ROM space
was used for more boot media options.

Unless there is further damage to the board, try rejumping J800 and
connecting an external AUI transceiver. If the internal transceiver
module has gone open circuit then this should restore the correct
loads on the ethernet chip.

Given that you have managed to get as far as ifconfig, I assume you
have a disk connected, so if you don't want networking you could just
comment out that line and use it standalone.

The ethernet address on 3/60 is stored in the IDPROM, so that's no
indication that the ethernet hardware is OK.

--m