[SunRescue] FYI: Ultra AX board on ebay

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jan 24 04:01:25 CST 2000

I've got no connection with this, but I figured some people here might be
interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=241242657

It's an Ultra AX board, the first SME PCI board.  Takes a single CPU
module (Ultra 2 type) from 167MHz to 300MHz.  Uses Ultra AXi memory in
sets of 4 for up to 1GB RAM, has 4 PCI slots on 2 busses (2 64-bit and 2
32-bit).  UPA slave slot for a Creator card.  ATX form factor and uses an
ATX powersupply.

It has the interesting distinction of being the first SPARC board to come
with onboard IDE.  No onboard SCSI, but the same cards that work in the
Ultra 5/10 work fine.

It's not a bad board but its successor (the AXi) has far outsold it.
Hardly "RARE" though.  If it stays low you could probably put together a
real budget Ultra with a 167MHz module someone is selling off from an
Ultra 2 upgrade.  Not for the timid.

I'd take it but I vowed not to buy any more incomplete systems until this
U450 is working 100%.  :)

-James