[SunRescue] Multiple HDs on an Ultra5/10?

Dan Jameyson jameyson at iwosys.net
Sun Jan 23 01:49:21 CST 2000

> Anybody successfully using more than one IDE HD on the primary IDE channel
> of an Ultra5?  I'd like to setup a dual-boot config (e.g., "boot linux" or
> "boot" (for solaris) in the boot ROM), but dont know if Sun supports more
> than one drive per IDE cable.
>
> Even if they dont support it, will it *work* ?
>
> Also, anybody know where I can get a HD mounting bracket for an U5?  Right
> now I had to mount my HD above the floppy drive where the PC card reader
> would normally go.  (and man, why'd they waste all the space under the
> CD-ROM drive?)
>
> Bill

I don't see any reason why setting the slave/master wouldn't work... if
it's IDE spec, then it's IDE spec <shrug>; so long as you know what
devices to use, I doubt there'd be any problem. My ultra 5 only has one
5.25 slot for the CDROM, yet still has a PC card thing. Honestly, does
anyone out there have a PCMCIA thingie on an Ultra5? Is there any useful
PCMCIA card that would justify its existance? Anyway, the main 9gb drive
is mounted on the bottom of the case sorta under the cdrom. I bet I
could fit a drive in there, diagonaly... so long as its wedged in there
and won't move around much.

Dan