[SunRescue] grumping about IE [from Ultra 1 vs. beefy Sparc 20]

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Jan 20 14:53:21 CST 2000

Tim Hauber wrote:

> rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
> >>3) MS IE is going to run faster on Intel and Windows. But even so, how
> >>fast does MS IE load on an NT system running on a 110 MHz processor?
> >
> >  Irrelevant...apples & oranges.  Let's not forget the whole Cycles Per
> >Average
> >Instruction thang...
> >
> >              -Dave McGuire
>
> Just an attempt to widen the discussion, but does anyone know of a decent
> graphical browser besides Netscrape and Internet Exploder?
>
> and keep in mind my own warnings against inflammatory language :-)
>
> I understand that Opera is OK, but doesn't exist yet for anything other
> than Windows and x86Linux, besides it isn't free.  I was just wondering if
> there is an open source style graphical browser.

Well, decent might be pushing it, but check out Amaya (I think that't
the spelling) from w3c.org.  It's open source, produced by the World
Wide Web Consortium.  According to a recent slash dot wrists article,
Mozilla is in use by about 50% of the people hacking on it for daily
use, but it might be worth checking out as well.
	Greg