[SunRescue] Silly Question.

Jeff elslooj at goldeninter.net
Thu Jan 20 10:20:40 CST 2000

I'm not too sure if this will work, as I'm not familiar at all with the workings of the PCi
card, but you should be able to flsh the bios to use faster processors.  My friend has an
old K6-2 300 and when he bought it I think he could maybe have gone to 350, but after he
flashed it, he could go up to the latest and greatest K6-3.  As far as I know, these boards
are a full computer, so they should have a real bios as well.  Mabey they don't because
they don't have an onboard IDE controller...
Is it possible to put a "PC" PCI card in a Sun (with the PCi card of course) and have
Windoze see it?
I don't understand why someone doesn't write drivers for Voodoo 2's or some form of
"add-on" 3d accelerator.  I mean, the Linux guys did it with Mesa, why not try to port that
to Solaris?  Then if someone did that, we might even see better games than Q2, like Quake 3
Arena and Unreal Tournament.  You can use 3dfx boards under MacOS now, and they were'nt
made for Macs, and Sun's PCI now so why the hell not?
With all the know-how in this list I'm sure someone could pull it off!

Jeff