[SunRescue] Ultra 1 vs. beefy Sparc 20

ward at zilla.nu ward at zilla.nu
Thu Jan 20 09:21:11 CST 2000

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 05:45:10AM -0800, Eric Ozrelic wrote:
> I'm spoiled by using fast cheap Intel hardware. MS IE 4.01 takes like 20
> seconds to load
> on my Sparc 5.

IE for Solaris / HP-UX, when first released, managed to almost kill an HP J282
with no other users.  It's not the same codebase, and seems to run slowly even
on a 4way e450.  I gave up on it.  When the addressbook app even runs slowly, I
get frustrated.

Remember, it took over 50 programmers 6 months to port IE to unix, 'cause unix
is so hard to use.  Or at least that's the story.. it's not in Microsoft's best
interest to have it work well.

Reagen