[SunRescue] Ultra 1 vs. beefy Sparc 20

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at double-barrel.be
Thu Jan 20 08:07:19 CST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Eric Ozrelic wrote:

> I'm running Solaris 2.7. When I'm working in CDE I want everything
> to be crisp and snappy. Whenever I do anything the CPU monitor goes off the
> charts.
CDE is a pig to use ... I never use CDE ...why don't you use Openwindows
instead ? Saves a lot of cpu cylces ....
> I'm spoiled by using fast cheap Intel hardware. MS IE 4.01 takes like 20
> seconds to load on my Sparc 5.
I don't personally use I.E. or Winblows..so I could not tell you I have
one system that has Winblows on but that one is for my Uni work and I try
not to use it because I find it crap...but just sometimes I have to test a
piece of code for portability and then I don't really don' have the choice
but to test on Winblow
> From what I understand because of the way the Sparc 5's
> architechture and processor are designed they are slower then most
>Sparc 10/20's with lower MHz ratings and a large onboard cache.
Nope ..you seem to be confused here...The sparc 5 is quite a nice
machine...However depending on what you want to spend you may want to look
into the Ultra 5 machines sun offers.
> I guess I could run Solaris on my Intel box but
> I really don't want to.
Intel boxes ...hmmm nope don't like that platform ...every asshole in the
world uses that platform so I go for the more exotic platforms ...I have
three intel boxes ( One printserver on FreeBSD, One gateway box  on
FreeBSD, and one with that piece of crap os from redmond, WA )..The rest
of my 16 or so systems are alpha's, sun's. I'm also looking for HP's,
SGI Risc and IBM Risc machines. Intel is simply not what I like to use.

Michael