[SunRescue] Silly Question.

Lyndon Griffin lgriffin at BSD4US.ORG
Wed Jan 19 04:36:32 CST 2000

> Slightly off topic, but has anyone tried Quake 2 on an Indigo2 Max or High
> Impact? How much of a difference does the hardware texture mapping make?

it makes all the difference in the world.  I recently installed a Voodoo 3
3000 (16mb card) in my primary PC, replacing an ATI Expert 98 (8mb).  Of
course I was able to use the native hardware support for voodoo, where I
was only using software for the ATI card, and granted 8mb vs 16mb is a
huge difference, but it doesn't quite add up, mathematically:  I went from
about 12fps running QII to over 80fps!  It's soooooo sweet ;)  Plus, I
really freed up some extra CPU cycles, so I could run at full screen and
still play the game, whereas I was playing in a little rectangle with the
ATI card.  And, I don't have to shut down any services (ewww - Windows NT)
to play the game, now that the ATI is doing something more reasonable -
providing an 800x600 xserver on a beat up old p133 (due to monitor
limitations, couldn't go any higher).  But, this is all wayyyy off topic.

<:)  Lyndon
     http://www.bsd4us.org/