[SunRescue] CDE ramblings (was: Solaris on older Sparc boxes)

paul pries paul.pries at sonera.com
Wed Jan 19 02:32:48 CST 2000

Seems like we have some guys here who are good at HP stuff... :)
So lets continue this totally off topic string. First a quick
question; What's so special about HP CD Rom drives?
I tried to boot my 715/50 from a sun cd-rom drive but no go.
Anyone have a clue about this?

james at foonly.com wrote:

> The 712 was a neat box.  Had a lot built in, but expandability was
> practically nonexistent.  A good parallel is the SGI Indy.
>
> One nice thing about the 712 is that it's one of the few older systems
> supported under HPUX 11.0.  The 735's can be coaxed to run but are a
> little squirrelly.

How about the 715/50? It is not in the official lists of 11.0 supported
machines. I could try it but it is much easier to ask... ;)

[snip]

> The handling of multiple workspaces is the biggest drawback of CDE as far
> as I am concerned.  An olvwm/fvwm-like pager along with the ability to
> drag windows from one workspace to another would be a godsend.

Yeah, I miss that too.

Paul.