[SunRescue] SS10 vs SS20

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Mon Jan 17 20:54:02 CST 2000

James wrote:

>> Secondly, it was mentioned on this list recently (and someone followed
>> it up asking where these magic vendors are) that we should be able to find
>> SM-51 modules in the $50-$100 range.  Well, I've never found any in that range.
>> On EBay they range from $150-160 recently, though I got one for $115 with
>> shipping, and I saw another that went for around $105 with shipping.
>
>Stay away from ebay for CPU modules unless you get really lucky.  Prices
>can get dramatically inflated.

That became pretty obvious when I saw how the SM51 modules were flying.
(though missing the $60 one hurt...)

>I'd actually recommend that you get a SS20 base and one or two SM50's.
>You'll end up spending about the same as you would on a SS10 and SM51's
>and you'll end up with a newer machine that's as fast or faster (due to
>the 25% increase is mbus speed)  and has more capabilities (such as the
>option for fast 24bpp video).  If you eventually upgrade the CPU modules,
>you will get much more bang for the buck.

Interesting.  Even with the heat issues?  We went thru 2 or 3 SS20 motherboards
at the office (that had dual drives) before we got that little fan kit from Sun.
Even with the kit, the SS20's seem noticably hotter inside even with a single
drive.  A faster box sounds pretty good if the prices are close.  I'll have to
ask Fred when I stop by.  Thanks for the suggestion...

>> MemoryX has SM50's for close to this range, but who wants a 0 cache processor?
>> Anybody got pointers??
>
>Don't knock the SM50.  It's easily faster than a SS5/110 when installed in
>a single configuration in a SS20.

Really?  I'd think the cache would offset the MBUS speed.  How would it
compare to a SS10 with a SM51?  Faster?  Close to the same? (assuming
same framebuffer...the SS20 would have a faster drive with the SCA connector,
correct?)

As a side note here, I've heard a lot of discussion on which Sun CPU's are
faster, and I've not found any "good" complete matrix of processors listing
performance across the Sparc machines (say from SS1 thru the SS20).
It would be a REALLY useful matrix.  I feel I got lucky and saved a lot of $$'s
by asking the rescue folks before I bought a hypersparc...(the dual SM51 feels
snappier than the single Hypersparc 125 at the office...)  Anybody know of
such a reference? (perhaps we could include it in the sun-ref)   A Ultra matrix
would also be nice (though, I have a feeling that it's a little easier to compare
across that line...or am I mistaken?)

Earl