[SunRescue] Solaris on older Sparc boxes

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Mon Jan 17 17:48:03 CST 2000

Every so often I'll hear people say, when talking about older Sun boxes,
that you don't want to run Solaris on that, it will be too slow.

Without starting a war (really!): slow in what sense?

I've got Solaris 2.7 running on an IPX (no X Windows) and a Sparc 10 (X
Windows, GX framebuffer and 128 MB of RAM) at home and both seem fairly
responsive. I haven't loaded any monsters like Netscape yet, but so far
with admin tasks using Xterms, the file editor, and file manager in Open
Windows the Sparc 10 doesn't come off too bad against the (early model)
U5 I use at work.

Note -- I'm not doubting anyone's word, it would just be interesting to
know in what areas Solaris would be slower on an older machine and why.

---
David Rouse
Network Manager
Goldsboro News-Argus