[SunRescue] Sparc 2 pricing?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jan 17 15:17:52 CST 2000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Empty SS2 bases are going for $30-50 pretty much everywhere.  If there's a
> decent amount of RAM in it, so much the better.  A CG6 is worth about $40-60
> now, I'd guess.  Yes, a CG6 is a good framebuffer.  1152x900x8,
> hardware-accelerated.

If you can get $40-60 for a single-slot GX then I'll be impressed.  I'd
place the value at closer to $25 for an old GX and $45 for a TGX.  TGX+
still commands a huge premium though.

Also, how it's configged makes a big difference.  64MB of RAM is worth at
least $50 by itself, a 1+GB internal disk has value, and a Weitek Powerup
would add more value.  If the monitor is anything more modern than a
GDM1962B then it's likely worth more than the machine is, and even the
1962's are very nice.

Sure you can pick up a bare SS5 for only a bit more, but the cost of
adding RAM, disk and a framebuffer to get it running pushes the price up.

-James