[SunRescue] 4/6xx capabilities?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jan 11 15:23:09 CST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Martin Frost wrote:

> Does anyone know whether Solaris has any trouble with 2.5Gb memory
> in only a 32-bit virtual address space? It would depend on whether
> it reserves part of the address space for a fixed mapping of all
> physical memory (ala Linux), I suppose.

No trouble at all.  The SC2000 supported 5GB RAM.  No single process could
map more than 3.75GB but you could run several large processes.

Since SuperSparc supports a 36-bit physical address space, it's not
possible to map it all into virtual space all the time.  The same is true
of the recent Pentium chips (P. Pro and up I believe) but few people take
advantage of it.

Generally, in pre-Ultras, the first 3.75GB is reserved for userspace.  The
kernel maps the top 256MB.

> Whoa. The cost of 224 x 16Mb SIMMs has just occurred to me. ;) [0]

A _heck_ of a lot cheaper now than it would have been in 1991, when 16MB
SIMMs were pushing $500+/ea.

-James