[SunRescue] 4/6xx capabilities?

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Tue Jan 11 14:42:34 CST 2000

James Lockwood wrote:

> The big problem is heat.  I modified a 3/60 case with a long low-profile
> squirrel-cage blower a few years back and that did the job.  But unless a
> low-profile desktop case is absolutely vital and you really want to hack
> things up, a 3 slot x10 case is a much better bet.  Plug and play.  The
> stock 3/60 fan is woefully underpowered, even a 4/300 board is too much
> for it.

TBH, if a low-profile desktop is vital, then an SS10 is a better bet. ;)

> > Are 600-series memory boards 64 SIMM sockets then?

> 32 SIMM sockets.  They take 4MB or 16MB SIMMs in 2 banks of 16.  The
> expansion boards have 64 SIMM sockets, yielding a max of 512MB on the
> motherboard and 1GB per expansion board (max 2).

Ah. The FAQ mentions 640Mb as maximum memory configuration, but this
would only be correct for 4Mb SIMMs.

Does anyone know whether Solaris has any trouble with 2.5Gb memory
in only a 32-bit virtual address space? It would depend on whether
it reserves part of the address space for a fixed mapping of all
physical memory (ala Linux), I suppose.

> Actually, I just thought of something.  With 7 slots on the first P2
> segment you could in theory fit 3 memory boards and a CPU board since
> the extra slot space taken up by the boards doesn't interface
> electrically.  I don't know if there is any provision in the address
> lines to handle another board, but a 4/690 (or 4/660 even) with 3.5GB
> RAM would be quite a sight.

Whoa. The cost of 224 x 16Mb SIMMs has just occurred to me. ;) [0]

--m

0/ Mind you, it's a lot better at www.memoryx.com (usd23 -> usd5152)
   than www.richnight.com (ukp49 -> ukp10976 -> ~usd17700)...