[SunRescue] scrap yard sadness

P.A.Osborne P.A.Osborne at ukc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 10:22:26 CST 2000

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 04:16:01PM +0000, Martin Frost wrote:
> While I was at school, I did a work placement for two weeks in a TV
> repair place. One particular insurance company (can't remember which)
> actually had a stipulation that once they had agreed something as
> being beyond economical repair, it had to be destroyed to a level that
> no part was useful as a spare. This was particularly disheartening when
> I was building various radios and the like and I see one of the other
> people sticking a screwdriver in a perfectly working speaker because
> they can't get a spare part for the power supply.

There is a larhe pharmaceutical company near me that has a similar problem,
last year they were destroying sparc 10s and 20s so they couldnt be used.

I had a Sun engineer here today fixing one of my web caches and he said
he has spent a lot of time recently installing a Starfire 10000 for
the same company.

Gits

--Paul