[SunRescue] Install Solaris 2.5.1 on an IPX?

Lyndon Griffin lgriffin at bsd4us.org
Mon Jan 10 13:13:39 CST 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> The external CD-Rom is an AppleCD 300 with a SCSI cable that steps down
> from the SCSI-I centronics to the mini SCSI-II on the IPX (at least
> that's my assumption). Anyhow, the IPX tries to boot from the cdrom but
> apparently can quite communicate correctly. I didn't write down the
> error messages, but if anyone thinks this can be fixed I'll try again
> and write everything down.

I'm having similar problems, here:  apparently 2.5 and earlier don't like to be
booted off a cdrom that isn't a Sun type 1 or whatever.  2.6 and later have no
problem booting off my NEC unit, though.  Depending on your unit, you may be
able to correct this, but I couldn't point you exactly in the right direction,
so you're better off either getting a Sun CDROM or trying one of the other
installation media options.

> When I halt the IPX and 'boot net' everything runs fine until after the
> IPX prints out the 'root entry:' to the console. Then I get the message
> that: 'Unable to NFS mount 192.168.0.28:/cdrom/solaris_2_5_1_sparc,
> starting shell. On exiting the shell, enter usr fs name.'

This could be a number of things...  make sure your nfsd is listening for UDP
packets (nfsd -tu usually works for me).  Also, if you're trying to use the
CDROM as an NFS filesystem, and I don't know if this will work or not, but each
architecture gets it's boot image from a different slice of the CD (the sun4m's
use slice D, I believe).

<:)  Lyndon