[SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 6 13:47:37 CST 2000

> In short, follow the rule of thumb and ask permission for everything else.
> Finally, as much as the less fortunate might want, we can't be seen as
> trying to make this a replacement for the FEH.  That's liable to get us into
> more trouble with Sun than not.  Perhaps we should include a section in the
> Introduction to the new reference that delineates the differences between
> our document and the Sun FEH.  We don't need to be seen as taking $$ away
> from Sun, even though IMHO Sun shouldn't consider stuff like the FEH a
> profit maker.

Let us take at least part of it from a diverging point of view.

What about....

Ask sun to allow us to use retired sections of FEH material, with their
blessing, so that we, collectively, as an open-source or open-whatever
or public-hobbiest group can maintain that information for old machine
non-commercial users.

In particular, all the vme stuff and maybe sparc stuff for things not
supported currently, or in print from Sun.

Would something like that be feasible, with proper permissions?

I did something like that for old-tyme radio publications, a few years back,
and it was entirely well received, by the publisher, as long as appropriate
copyright attributions were made.  My stuff was put up on the Internet
with no problems, legalesewise.

We are not out to usurp anything from Sun, but just keep the historical
information that they don't currently have any commercial need for, from
becoming lost in time.

That could be a PR bennies thing for Sun, as an educational sort of
somethingorother, if they needed/wanted to make mileage out of it.
A PR coup over that Washington state based operation kind of thing.

It is mostly a matter of asking, with clear and level goals, the right
people.  Who knows the bossman at Sun, directly (for example)?

Just thinking out loud......(something I do occasionally.....)

Bob