[SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Thu Jan 6 10:29:11 CST 2000

Greg:

Looking good.  I've tried to answer as many of the question below as
possible, and fleshed out the outline a bit more for you...

> Well, here's tonight's draft of an outline.  It's got some places that
> could get more info, and I haven't finished going through all of
> yesterday's mail.  I have the top level outline that BSD Bob sent, but I
> want to flesh that out a little bit more before I send anything off.  I
> think that Chris has this one layed out well, and I'll finish fleshing
> it out tomorrow evening, unless I decide to go to the Linux Group
> meeting (not likely).  Well, enough of my yacking, here's the doc that I
> put together.

> This is going to try to be a nice map of what I think the New Sun
> Hardware
> Reference Guide should look like. I'm going to try to co-ordinate this
> project, along with some help from some chaps over in UK. I don't have
> their
> names right now, but they'll be in here soon enough. I also plan to use
> the
> Sun Rescue Society's mailing list for most of my communications, unless
> the
> working group becomes too large, in which case I'll need to see about a
> separate list.
>
> Note on breakdown of interface boards: Boards will be broken down by
> host
> bus architecture, so that a VME -> MultiBus bridge will be in the VME
> section, and not the MultiBus section. Thanks to Martin Frost
> <martin at dsres.com>

> Outline proposed by Chris Peterson <havok at apk.net>
>
>   I. Introduction. Rough history of Sun, purpose of FAQ, author
>                    information, official home of this document.
>
>  II. Sun Hardware Specifications. Basics, Bus, Speed, Memory Type
>
>        1. Sun1
>
>        2. Sun2
>
>        3. Sun3/Sun3x
>
>        4. Sun4. Not sure how to do this section, I need advice. I could
>           break this down into all of the Sun4? sections, or I could do
>           something else. Breaking it down into the Sun4? sections makes
>           the most sense with the above list, but it might make things
>           harder to find. Although if we provide a good index, this
>           shouldn't be a problem.

Go ahead and break down by kernel architecture.  Perhaps we should provide
another level of abstraction, though, for the Sun3 & Sun4 sections:

	3. Sun 3 Series
	   a.  Sun3  (Motorola 68020)
           b.  Sun3x (Motorola 68030)

	4. Sun SPARC series (Sun 4)
	   a.  Sun4 (SPARC VME, VME SPARCstations)
           b.  Sun4c (early SPARCstation pizza & lunchboxes)
           c.  Sun4m (SPARCstation, VME SPARCservers & SPARCstations -
                      MicroSPARC, MicroSPARC II, TurboSPARC,
                      SuperSPARC, HyperSPARC)
           d.  Sun4d (SPARCservers & SPARCcenters - SuperSPARC, HyperSPARC)
           e.  Sun4d6 (CRAY SPARC (?))
           f.  Sun4u (UltraSPARC)

> III. Architecture and Hardware Specifics
>
>        A. Sun1 Architecture Notes
>
>             i. Sun 1 Hardware Notes/Errata
>
>            ii. Other machines here
>
>        B. Other Sun Architecture Notes

I think you got my idea, but in case you did'nt, between Sun1 and Sun4m
sections there would be a section for each of the architectures...

>        C. Sun4m Architecture Notes (perhaps a list of modules, etc)
>
>             i. SPARCStation 4 Hardware Notes/Errata
>
>            ii. SPARCStation 5 Hardware Notes/Errata
>
>           iii. SPARCStation 10 Hardware Notes/Errata
>
>            iv. SPARCStation 20 Hardware Notes/Errata

              v. SPARCstation LX/ZX Hardware Notes/Errata

	     vi. SPARCstation Classic/SPARCclassic X Hardware Notes/Errata

            vii. SPARCterminal 1 Hardware Notes/Errata

           viii. SPARCserver 1000/SPARCserver 1000E Hardware Notes/Errata

             ix. SPARCcenter 2000/SPARCcenter 2000E Hardware Notes/Errata

              x. SPARCcluster 1 Hardware Notes/Errata

             xi. SPARCserver 630, 630MP, 670, 670MP, 690,690MP,
                 Sun 4/630, 4/670, 4/690 Hardware Notes/Errata

Same thing here as I said above...I filled it in a little bit for example,
not in any particular order, but to give you a rough idea of things.  Some
of what I added should probably be broken out more, and some of it can
probably be collapsed together (like the SS1000 & SC2000 sections).

>        D. More Architectures here
>
>  IV. System Options, Processors, etc by Bus (or in the case of non-bus
>      specific, by function)
>
>        A. MultiBUS
>
>        B. VME
>
>        C. SBus
>
>        D. More busses

Same as my earlier comments, I assume the finished product will have
categories between D. & E. covering the other busses, like P4, XDbus, MBus,
UPA, S24, etc.

>        E. Keyboards and Mice
>
>        F. Monitors

As in my earlier post, I would also add a Motherboard or CPU section here to
cover the non-VME or MultiBUS CPU boards, such as the motherboard out of any
of the pizza box Suns.  Not sure how to entitle it, so that people don't get
confused with the Mbus and VME sections, but I would add it before
Keyboards & Mice and right after the busses.  Maybe entitle it "Non-bus
based Mainboards" or something like that.  I'm sure somebody on the list can
suggest a snappier heading.

>   V. Part Number Reference List (cross-linked back to component details)
>
>  VI. Indices
>
>        A. Alphabetical by machine type (what does machine type mean?)
>
>        B. By Bus?
>
>        C. By Date

> Just to let you know, I wrote this in DocBook SGML, just to start
> getting aquainted with it.  It's pretty darn easy to write, and output
> to HTML is really easy.  Not sure how to do anything else yet, so I just
> used netscape to save this as text.  If people could fill in with
> answers to the specific questions I asked, that'd be great.
> 	Greg

You've mentioned DocBook SGML a couple of times...Is this a commercial
product, or something opensource?  Where can I find some more info?  I have
a feeling I might be contributing quite a bit to your project, if you're of
need for the help, and so I figure I should look into this package...I've
done some SGML awhile back, but it's been awhile...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer